Saturday, January 2, 2021

WELL, IT IS A FENDER.


What a waste of a day off. Everything is closed and you can't hang out with anybody. Fuggit. I started re-reading another book, Surf Beat: Rock 'n' Roll's Forgotten Revolution, by Kent Crowley. It's a pretty thorough history of surf music, the best on the subject that I've yet read (albeit two). I'm only fifty or so pages into it and I'm already reminded of the questions I had the last time I read it. I'm still wondering why no one has written a full length biography of Dick Dale. What the hell? I'm also wondering why Eddie and the Showmen's work is out of print. And the big question, why don't recordings exist of Kathy Marshall, the Queen of the Surf Guitar? [Note: These and other questions just turned into a two hour surf music related detour. Thus, the short end to this post. I can't stay in front of a screen all night. I gotta get back to doing nothing.]

Anyway, the book mentions an early instrumental by Ritchie Valens, "Fast Freight" as being right on the cusp of early rock 'n' roll splitting off into surf. It was released under the name Arvee Allens. Del-Fi Records label owner Bob Keane was creating a back up plan in a Duane Eddy mold, in the event that his first two vocal hits were flukes.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Arvee Allens - Fast Freight mp3
at Rockabilly Hall
Arvee Allens - Big Baby Blues mp3
at Rockabilly Hall
Ritchie Valens - Come On, Let's Go mp3
at Rocky 52
Ritchie Valens - La Bamba mp3
at Rocky 52
Ritchie Valens - That's My Little Suzie mp3
at Rocky 52
Ritchie Valens - Donna mp3
at Rockabilly Hall

1 comment: