Monday, January 18, 2021

SCIENTIST MEETS NEIGHBOR IN THE ALLEY


Oh shit, I was just reminded that I never mentioned this. Those of you who know reggae, know that when it comes to dub King Tubby was the man. You might also know that he had a protégé named Scientist. Scientist was in his early twenties when he released his first LP in 1980, and that's about the time I started listening to him. That long ago, four decades. But that's not what I forgot to mention.

There's a woman who moved in across the alley about a year ago. She's involved in the local reggae scene and was lamenting the recent loss of San Diego reggae DJ Carlos Culture. This is where we made the reggae connection. A short time later she told me about the memorial or wake or whatever it was. She mentioned some heavy hitters that were there. Then a few days later she told that she had been hanging with some of the people that were also at the wake, at one point hanging in the alley. She asked me if I knew who Scientist was, I said of course blah, blah, blah. Then she told me that Scientist was one of the people she was hanging with in the alley. My alley. I go out to that alley three or four times a day. That line from Endless Summer, "You really missed it, you should have been here yesterday." That's the story of my life.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~

No comments: