Saturday, January 30, 2021

BERNIE VS THE HOUSE OF CARDS


As happy as I am that Joe Biden won the election, I am and always have been a Bernie Sanders supporter. He was my choice in the primary election and the person whose positions on issues come closest to mine. Big on that list is income inequality. Sanders is for increasing taxes on the ultra-rich. I'm with that, fully in.

In the past week the stock market was hit with a massive buy of GameStop from members of a Reddit group who knew Wall Street was banking on GameStop to go out of business. Realizing that there is power in numbers, a bunch of them started buying up GameStop stock sending the market into a WTF frenzy. Now, I'm not a trader, day or otherwise, but from what I understand all sorts of rich investors are all of a sudden concerned what will happen to their games now. A bunch of Reddit users in their bedrooms and at their kitchen tables leveled the playing field. If that can happen to GameStop, what will happen to their next bet on failure?

Right about know you're thinking, "What has this got to do with music?" I knew you were going to ask that. Well today Bernie Sanders tweeted "Oh look, another billionaire is mad that he might have to pay more taxes while children in America go hungry and veterans sleep on the street. Cry me a river. Yes. We will make Wall Street billionaires pay their fair share of taxes and create an economy that works for all of us." Here here, my man!

Buried in that quote is an expression I've only heard in song and rarely heard spoken, only two people that I can think of off the top of my head. One of the people that used the phrase was Johnny Rotten back in the Sex Pistols days. During an interview, the song cane on and Rotten excitedly said the title and proclaimed "I love this song!" The second time I noticed that someone had used the term, also the title of the song, was Sanders in his tweet today. So, here's Julie London's "Cry Me A River", a total smoky lounge torch singer sort of thing. Also down there is a clip from The Girl Can't Help It, in which Tom Ewell's character comes home drunk, puts on London's record and starts hallucinating, seeing London in his living room, then his kitchen, then in the living room again and the looking ultra-sultry, lying on his bed. Anyone who's ever come home shitfaced and then tried to put on a record will relate to how those few seconds set everything up.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~

No comments: