Monday, June 21, 2021

RETURN OF THE ALL TIME JAM


Hot damn! It's the first day of summer. The ocean water temperature is 66 degrees (warm enough to not notice it), the forecast for the next week is the mid-70s. You know, all the cliché Southern California shit. Sue me. Anyway, I know I'm going to post Althea and Donna's "Uptown Top Ranking" sometime during the summer.so why not now? I went for a swim a couple hours ago, read, had a tamale and the Padres are currently leading the Dodgers in the sixth. It a rivalry that goes way back, and both teams are good this year. So I'm in a good mood, and "Uptown Top Ranking" fortifies that.

The riddim comes from Alton Ellis's "I;m Still In Love With You". Althea and Donna's "Uptown Top Ranking" was by no means the only record to use it. Here's a couple others. And if you're already familiar with all of these, dig this exercise. Try syncing Ellis's with Althea and Donna's, opening them in separate windows and pausing one if needed. Then fuck with the volume in each window. When they do sync well you can strut around like some two bit King Tubby,

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Althea and Donna - Uptown Top Ranking mp3
at Tumblr
Alton Ellis - I'm Still In Love With You mp3
at Stop Okay Go
Mighty Two - Calico Suit
(streaming) at YouTube
Trinity - Three Piece Suit
(streaming) at YouTube

No comments: