Friday, August 21, 2020

THE INEXPLICABLE SUMMER JAM

Today it was in the mid-80s on the coast, the water temperature was 75, and there was a slight bump of a swell. I saw friends at the beach, friends on the way home, and my niece and her "not-boyfriend" just stopped by. It's summer. And it's been two years since I posted Althea and Donna's "Uptown Top Ranking". It's one of my favorite summer jams and it hasn't a damn thing to do with summer.

Here's that song and the song that the original riddim was made for, Alton Ellis's "I'm Still In Love With You". The latter was one of my first reggae purchases. I didn't know who the fuck Alton Ellis was and wouldn't have known to care where it was recorded or who played on it. But it's an old friend at this point, as is Althea and Donna's song.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Althea and Donna - Uptown Top Ranking mp3 at Tumblr
Alton Ellis - I'm Still In Love With You mp3
at Stop Okay Go

4 comments:

Paolo Meccano said...

Whenever a blog I follow posts 'Uptown Top Ranking', I invariably go looking for Trinity's 'Three Piece Suit', without success. Today, however, I finally found it:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jb3ck9lp9lgwobb/Trinity_-_Three_Piece_Suit_%252875%2529.rar/file

Tom G. said...

Yo Paolo! I don't know how you found it, but my hat's off to you. I posted it (via a YouTube link) a couple of years ago when I posted "Uptown Top Ranking", and looked for an mp3 again this time and was skunked. How did you find it?

Have you ever heard the Big Youth answer song "Spanking Ranking"?:
https://youtu.be/CfnpAiFfWWg

Thanks for piping in!

Paolo Meccano said...

I found it here: -

http://vinilrootsstudioalphasom.blogspot.com/2019/01/trinity-three-piece-suit-75.html?m=1 - Looks like a good blog.

I hadn't heard the Big Youth version before, but I like it. Thanks for the tip-off.

Tom G. said...

Paolo,

You're a saint bro! That site is awesome. Thanks for the tip. A lot of good stuff I haven't heard, both from long time favorites and artists I've never checked out. The rips are pretty clean too! I owe you one!