Sunday, August 16, 2020

BRIAN, NO

The other night I was out in the alley having a smoke and reading a few pages of a book and noticed a young woman having a smoke across from me,. We got to chatting and after a few minutes I introduced myself. (Relax, I do that with anybody that I have a decent conversation with, particularly if the possibility exists that I'll see them again at some point. I'm the friendly asshole of the neighborhood. The chit chat dude.) Her name was Caroline.

As I do when I meet someone, to remember their name I try to associate it with a song. The obvious one for Caroline was "Caroline, No" by the Beach Boys. The closing track on Pet Sounds. So, after formal introductions I asked Caroline if she'd ever heard "Caoline, No" and she hadn't. She only vaguely recognized the name the Beach Boys (I did say young woman). I told her that it was a song I'd use to remember her name and that it was a beautiful song, "forget all about that 'Surfing USA' stuff," yadda yada, yadda, look it up on YouTube. When I got back inside I went to look for it online, because I couldn't find my CD. In doing so, I ran across "Smart Girls". Have you heard this stinker? A rap record by Brian Wilson. It's awful. Rejected by his record company for good reason. It's the worst thing he's ever done. The worst rap-related piece of corn I've ever heard. It was done at the insistence of his then over-controlling shrink, Eugene Landy. True. It also involved Matt Dyke, DJ and a principal of Delicious Vinyl. He had some sort of affiliation with the Beastie Boys around the time of Paul's Boutque, but whatever cred he had from that, as far as I'm concerned, is negated by this piece of shit. He really ought to be ashamed. He should have known better than to enable this nonsense.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Beach Boys - Caroline, No (alt. take) mp3 at Big O Zine
Brian Wilson - Smart Girls mp3
at Beware of the Blog

No comments: