Tuesday, August 11, 2020

MAS MINGUS

Aw fuck, downloads be damned. There's this guy I met a few years ago, Daniel. We met while ogling the same cherry early fifties Chevy rolling by. (I think it was a Chevy, I may remember it wrong.) After talking cars a little bit we parted ways, and over the course of a couple years we got to know each other a little better. He had a really cool style, old school, but not in a traditional way. Part of it was the way he talked, almost always with a grin and a conspiratory manner, like he was letting you in on something. It was just in this manner he told me stories about hanging out with Charles Mingus's son, what the inside of Fantasy Records was like, stuff like that. All of these stories, and he's just a few years older than me.

Daniel moved away a year or so ago but we've kept in touch. He posted some Mingus tonight at Facebook. "Haitian Fight Song". Yee haw, that's the first Mingus song I ever heard, and the song that made me seek out more of his shit. That's it, I caught the Mingus tonight. Unfortunately I couldn't find an mp3 of that song, but it set the mood. Downloads be damned tonight. Most of you probably listen to this stuff through your phone anyway. YouTube's good for that. Hell, just go out and buy it.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Charles Mingus - Haitian Fight Song (streaming) at YouTube
Charles Mingus - Lock 'em Up mp3
at London Jazz Collector This thing goes off. Check the yell at 4:16
Charles Mingus - Cecilia mp3
at Pixie Radio
Charles Mingus - All the Things You Could Be Right Now If Sigmund Freud's Wife Was Your Mother mp3
at African American Literary Theory

No comments: