Monday, August 31, 2020

LOCK DOWN THEATER NIGHT 28

I can't believe that until the last few days I hadn't ever watched more than a snippet or two of the Kinks live. I did see them live a couple times years ago and, through a couple friends who were the president and vice president of the American Kinks Fan Club, got to meet Ray Davies, but it never occurred to me to go back and watch their early live stuff on YouTube. While I did busy myself for the last couple days digging into some of their stuff, that's not why I've been scarce. I just felt like a break of a couple days. I'm kind of sick of looking at screens. Wah, wah, wah.


So, anywho, after watching the live stuff the big takeaway was this: Shel Talmy was one shit hot producer. If you compare the Kinks recorded versions of "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and all of the Night" to the live versions, the records have considerably more punch. Talmy produced a lot of their early hits, as well as "I Can't Explain", "My Generation" and other early hits by the Who, "Friday On My Mind" by the Easybeats. And that's just some of his early work. Get it? I took off a Talmy detour. But I don't have time for both. I'm sick of looking at screens. So. here's the Kinks stuff.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Kinks - You Really Got Me mp3 at Tumblr
The Kinks - All Day and All of the Night mp3
at Tumblr
The Kinks - You Gotta Move mp3
at Tumblr
The Kinks - I'm Not Like Everybody Else
(streaming) at YouTube

Video:
The Kinks- You Really Got Me at YouTube 1965
The Kinks- All Day and All of the Night
at YouTube 1965
The Kinks- Live, short set (but good!)
at YouTube 1966
The Kinks- Last of the Steam Powered Trains, Picture Book
at YouTube TV appearance, 1969
The Kinks - Live at the Beat Club
at YouTube Seven songs, 1972

No comments: