Tuesday, July 12, 2022

THE SLASH-ERA LINE-UP. DON'T ARGUE.


My car stereo took a shit about a week ago so I've been listening to portable FM radio when I'm driving. The reception pretty much sucks, but the Mexican radio stations, due to not being subject to FCC regulations, came in loud and clear. It reminded be of the old days when XPRS, a station in Mexico, broadcasted Huggy Boy's show, loaded with r&b and oldies with a decent chunk of lowrider type oldies. The station could reach most of the west coast so it was great for road trips. Huggy Boy was on XPRS from 1981 to 1982. Right about the time the Blasters came out with "Border Radio". So, when I was listening to one of the Mexican stations, my thoughts went to songs about Mexican radio stations, "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo, "Heard it on the X" by ZZ Top and "Border Radio". Blasters win this one. I saw them several times live and one show was one of my most memorable musical experiences ever, it still kinda gives me chills. So, there's the Wall of Voodoo and ZZ Top songs down there in case you're curious.  Tonight, though, belongs to the Blasters.


4 comments:

Marc said...

I grew up on the East Coast, so I've never listened to Mexican stations - I used to listen to Canadian stations when I lived in Michigan, though. Not the same thing, I know -- but CBC had some good programming, and the "alternative" rock station for Detroit, circa early '90s, was actually based in Windsor.

The Blasters had already broken up by the time I realized how great they were, so I never saw them live, and I still regret it. I still have their Slash debut album, on vinyl of course.

Marc

Tom G. said...

Marc, that Slash debut is my favorite. I gotta say, live they were much better than any video can convey. The show I mentioned was at a medium sized college venue and it was so good, I did what I did sometimes during a good show. I went to the back of the room to take it all in, and I nearly cried (really!), there was so much joy in the room. At another show I was a guest of a buddy of mine who was one of the founding members of the Paladins (when they were a four piece). I was hammered, as I often was in those days. I cornered Lee Allen and absolutely gushed praise on him, about his long career playing back in the day on Fats Domino and Little Richard sides. He was cool about it but I'm sure he was rolling his eyes as soon as I walked, er, stumbled away.

Steve D. said...

Argh. I lived in southern California in 1981-82. But when listening to night time radio, I gravitated to Art Laboe. I keeled over one night when a record he typically played as the background to his voice-overs (and whose title I can't remember - it was a smokin' saxophone deck) got a full spin without any chatter over it.

Tom G. said...

Hmm, Johnny Otis, smokin' sax? Could be Big Jay McNeely
https://ladimensiondetrastos.blogspot.com/2022/01/the-guy-with-gaping-pie-hole-gets-it.html