Saturday, July 16, 2022

SONGS JACKIE BROWN TAUGHT US


William Hart (center above), lead singer of the Delfonics passed away last Thursday. It got me to thinking when I first started paying attention to them. It was in the Quentin Tarantino film, Jackie Brown, in 1997, when Jackie Brown (Pam Grier) is playing the Delfonics. A bail bondsman, who's. kind of going soft for her, asks who it is and then later buys the tape. I've done shit like that so I can relate. Tarantino played a good trick there. By building that into the film, he was knowingly turning other people onto the Delfonics. Having been endorsed by a character in a film would hit not have worked had the character not been like Jackie Brown, cool, strong and, yes, attractive. Hey, it's Pam Grier, you cannot ignore that.


After listening to this song (below) for the first time in a while, I've had it on repeat for the last day and a half. It's fucking awesome. I love the production, the arrangement, the song and the singing. It's about as close to perfect as you get.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Delphonics - Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time) mp3 at Tumblr
.

1 comment:

Marc said...

R.I.P.

I think Jackie Brown is where I first heard this as well. It's a great one.

Marc