Monday, February 27, 2023

FUELED BY LEIBER AND STOLLER


I don't listen to a lot of doo wop, but I dig it. Because I don't listen to a lot of it, I'm limited to the better known vocal groups. I know there were a shitload of them, but that's one of those sub-genres that I'll get around to learning more about when I get around to it. That said, there are a handful I spin semi-regularly. The Drifters, the Olympics, the Cadets and, probably the best known (or at least the most played) vocal group of the era, the Coasters. The Coasters recorded for Atlantic, and a bunch of their hits were written by the songwriting team of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. Leiber and Stoller were a damn machine, writing hit after hit not just for the Coasters but Elvis and the Drifters, among others, as well. The Coasters though benefited the most and in return Leiber and Stoller finally bought that boat.

Here's a handful. Not rock 'n' roll enough for you? "Poison Ivy" was covered by the Stones, "Bad Detective" was covered by the New York Dolls. That's just two. Good enough for me.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Coasters - Poison Ivy mp3
at Internet Archive
The Coasters - Down in Mexico mp3
at Internet Archive
The Coasters - Bad Detective
(streaming) at YouTube
The Coasters - Young Blood mp3
at Internet Archive

2 comments:

Steve D. said...

"Young Blood" was covered by Bad Company ["A"-side, Swan Song SS-70108 - March 1976].

Tom G. said...

First time I heard it was in the concert film Concert For Bangla Desh, Leon Russell covered it.