Monday, June 12, 2023

MUSIC FOR OMNIVOROUS MODS


I know that back in the day, OG mods liked some jazz, the more accessible types of jazz, but when I ran into a bunch of songs under the heading of "mod jazz", I listened to a bunch and tried to discern what made them mod jazz. To me they sounded like what I thought was soul jazz, another type of accessible jazz. I tried to figure it out before asking the internet. I gave up, and found the answer on All About Jazz. The "mod'" in the title refers to modern jazz (as opposed to "trad jazz" which meant traditional jazz). Apparently there were nine "Mod Jazz" compilations released by Kent Records between 1996 and 2018. Yeah, so I'll be keeping my eyes on the used bins. If it's like other records on the mental shopping list, it will pop up right about the time I give up looking for it. Regardless, these hit the spot. I can just imagine a dance floor filled with mods in sharp suits all hopped up on pep pills doing their thing.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Sharon Cash - Fever mp3
at Internet Archive
Booker T and the MGs - Soul Jam mp3 a
t Internet Archive
Shirley Scott - Soul Shoutin' mp3
at Internet Archive
Johnny Griffin Orchestra - Wade In the Water mp3
at Internet Archive

1 comment:

Steve D. said...

The Jazz station I've been listening to a lot lately is Jazzerainious [via the Online Radio Box]. It throws all styles of jazz on there, without adverts or guilt-tripping pleas to donate.