Thursday, June 22, 2023

POST-MAYNARD'S ROCK


Oh man. Total flashback. I don't listen to much of Ten Years After, but every time I hear them I associate them with a particular excursion that my brothers and I and a couple friends would go on, once a week. That would be to go surf at Crystal Pier, about five miles up the coast. There wasn't anything particularly good, or different, about the surf there. It was just like the surf at the end of our street. But right next to Crystal Pier was Maynard's (above). And up the street from Maynard's was a record store. And up the block from the record store was Mr. Frostie. This was nirvana. We were young, none us yet skilled in the ways of dating (late bloomers, wallflowers) but we had everything else.

Maynard's was the reason for the weekly jaunt, for their spaghetti special which was something like $1.25. It tasted like $1.24. But when you're a teenager, coming out of the water and going straight to the side window of a bar, a bar with choppers in front of it, to order, shit, you felt legit. Gangsta gremmie. When Maynard's was no longer viable (out of business? I forget.), it was Tug's Tavern, a few blocks up the street, that took over the side window weekly specials routine. After wolfing it down at either of them, the next stop was The Wherehouse, a chain record store. That's where the Ten Years After association comes in. I distinctly remember where I was standing and where my brother was, the angle of light from the nearby window and watching him pick up Ten Years After Recorded Live the night he bought it. Serious. That mental image pops up every time I hear Ten Years After. The cuts below are from a different LP, but were what I happened to run across. This is a badass album.The intro to "Baby Won't You Let Me Rock 'n Roll You" is one of my all time favorites. I really dig that whole song. Next stop, Mr. Frostie.

No comments: