Monday, June 5, 2023

DUDE, WHERE'D YOU GET THAT JACKET?!


Yesterday I came home from the beach and decided to shake things up. My usual soundtrack for a post-beach chillazin' session is reggae, Brazilian, or maybe jazz. Yesterday I took a a blind swipe at my CDs and came up with "Return of the Grievous Angel" by Gram Parsons. It really hit the spot. I hadn't heard it in a long while. It's one of those songs that you dig or you don't. If you really dig, you're probably already familiar with the song. Fret not, there's something for you down there too. An alternate version that is awesome to hear for the first time, especially since Parsons has been dead for fifty years. If you really, really dig the song, there's an instrumental version so you can sing along and find out what a shitty singer you are. Worked for me. I can't sing for shit.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Gram Parsons - Return of the Grievous Angel mp3
at Internet Archive
Gram Parsons - Return of the Grievous Angel (alternate) mp3
at Internet Archive
Gram Parsons - Return of the Grievous Angel (instrumental) mp3
at Internet Archive
Gram Parsons - Ooh Las Vegas mp3
at Internet Archive

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom, I stumbled across your site a number of years ago, and have been an avid reader/listener. Have always meant to comment. Now, with you featuring perhaps my favorite song of all time, I’ve got no excuse. Takes me back to high school when you and Tim introduced me to a ton of music, like Mott the Hoople, Lou Reed, Bowie, surf music, and of course Johnny Winter. I learned a lot, and I still like discovering new (for me) artists. Keep up the good work, and say hi to OB for me. Bill Byrns

Tom G. said...

Hey Bill! Good to hear from you! Judging by when you posted the comment you're either a night owl or you're living back east. What have you been up to the last few, er, decades? (!)
Tom

Anonymous said...

It’s definitely been a few decades. The last time I saw members of the G family was a Buffett concert on Shelter Island in late’83/early ‘84. By sheer coincidence I ended up sitting next to your gang. You guys had a post concert party and I saw your two bros and older sis (and I think your Mom!). I think maybe you came later?

I am a few time zones away, but to the West, in Hawaii. I moved here after graduation in ‘84 for, I thought, a few years. Almost 40 years later, I’m still here. If you’re ever in the neighborhood let me know. My email is wbyrns@rmhawaii.com.

Tom G. said...

I wasn't at that concert because I distinctly remember, a couple years earlier (1982, I looked it up!) my family being in disbelief when I declined going to see Buffet because he'd strayed from his rough and tumble Key West roots (after "Margaritaville" became a hit), opting instead to see Bow Wow Wow play on the same night (with a friends band, the Injections, opening). Now that I think about it, the whole attraction for me was a few years earlier when I heard "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw" on a jukebox. After that I saw Buffet at the Palominio club in L.A. After that I may have seen him once, but when he got big it became parrothead hell. I bailed.

I'm happy that you made it to Hawaii and liked it enough to stay. I'll end up there at some point, if only for a visit. I've got other friends there as well. I'll shoot you an email.

Aloha Bixby,
Tom