Saturday, February 11, 2023

R.I.P. WRITER OF RAW MATERIAL

One thing I dig about good songwriters is that after you've heard a handful of versions of a particular song, the original version, sometimes a hit, sort of dissolves and every version becomes more about the song and whether, depending on the amount of tweaking, it is still there. Burt Bacharach's songs are like that. I can't remember what any of his own versions of his songs sound like, though "The Look of Love" comes to mind. I can think of some hit versions, mostly Dionne Warwick stuff and I've never been a big fan of hers. Nothing personal, I'd just rather hear Isaac Haye's Quiet Storm version of "Walk On By". That one's hitting the bong filled with Courvoisier.

As is often the case with any cover that Isaac Hayes does, as the slow down and chill part of the Bacharach speedball, there is a more upbeat version that bears just a skeletal resemblance of Hayes's source material. In this case it's Roland Raashan Kirk, the man with more reeds than hands. His version is a goddamn party.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~

Listen:
Isaac Hayes - Walk On By mp3 at Internet Archive
Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Walk On By mp3
at Melting Pot
Isaac Hayes - Close to You (streaming) at YouTube
Isaac Hayes - The Look of Love (streaming) at YouTube

1 comment:

Steve D. said...

Burt did not appreciate Love's version of "My Little Red Book". 8=)

I have a lot of LPs with Burt's songs thereupon. Yes, many of them are by Dionne Warwick. They were bought in the late 1970s when Scepter | Wand shut down and all their LPs turned up in the cut-out bins. (I also have the Dionne W. LP where she sang none of Burt's songs ["Soulful"], recorded in Memphis, TN. It cost 50¢.)