Saturday, February 4, 2023

BARRETT STRONG PASSED AWAY


I just heard tonight that Barrett Strong passed away on January 30th. (Shit, I gotta pull my head out of the sand.) Most people would recognize the name as the writer and singer of "Money (That's What I Want", the first big hit for Motown in 1959. He also co-wrote a mess of hits for the Temptations in their Norman Whitfield produced psychedelic soul era; “Cloud Nine,” “I Wish it Would Rain,” “I Can’t Get Next to You,” “Psychedelic Shack,” “Ball of Confusion,” “Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)” and “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone”. Shit, I checked out "Money" tonight for the first time in a long while. I forgot how powerful it was. "Misery" is great one too, with a down tempo spooky thing going on.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Barrett Strong - Money (That's What I Want) mp3
at Internet Archive
Barrett Strong - Misery
(streaming) at YouTube
Co-written by Barrett Strong:

The Temptations - Can't Get Next to You mp3 at Box.net (?)
The Temptations - Cloud Nine mp3
at Box.net (?)
The Temptations - Ball of Confusion mp3
at Snuthing Anything
The Temptations - Psychedelic Shack mp3
at AM Then FM With spoken intro
The Temptations - Papa Was a Rolling Stone (7 minute version) mp3
at Lots of Fish

No comments: