Tuesday, August 25, 2020

NEVER ARGUE MUSIC WITH A 15 YEAR OLD

I'm not a flute guy. I'm not sure where it came to me that flutes lacked balls. They were dainty, unlike sax or brass, who more often than not were in your face. I do know that my distaste for flute began with Jethro Tull. I'll be honest, the fifteen year old me is in charge here, I don't care what Jethro Tull sounds like, those bloomers or elf pants, whatever, Ian Anderson insulted my blue jean guitar rock mindset. Fuck 'em. Banned for life. If you think that's harsh, take it up with the fifteen year old me.

Years later Herbie Mann's shirtless hairy torso seemed so out of touch I began to wonder what the flute does to them to make them present themselves like that. So, I  pretty much ignored flute players all together. Flute stuff was still there, but that doesn't mean it merited exploring. Again, fifteen year old me. Don't bother arguing.

When I was in the thick of that, Johnny Winter's Still, Alive and Well LP came out. One song, "Too Much Seconal" had flute on it, played by Jeremy Steig. He is the reason why the door was never completely closed on the flute. For that one damn song. After I listened to that tonight, I went looking for anything by Steig himself. "Howlin' For Julie" is the first thing I happened to find, and it pretty much rips. His playing at the three minute mark is as Stooges-like as I imagine flute can be. Still, flute.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Johnny Winter - Too Much Seconal mp3 at Tumblr
Jeremy Steig - Howlin' For Judy
(streaming) at YouTube

2 comments:

plasticsun said...

Gotta agree with you about the flute; it has become a long standing joke among my friends after seeing Paul Weller's first solo tour back in the early 90s. Now don't get me started about the use of the dreaded "honking" sax.

Tom G. said...

Ahem, sir (or ma'am) honking sax rules. That's the somewhat older me saying that. Don't argue. Listen to Big Jay:
https://ladimensiondetrastos.blogspot.com/2018/12/big-jay-checked-out.html