Friday, August 28, 2020

DODDBALL

I heard Cal Tjader on the radio the other day, and today the Modern Jazz Quartet, both times digging on the vibraphone. I needed me a fix and I knew who I was going to look for. Lenny Hibbert, I knew I'd posted him before and I was surprised to find that the link was still good. Yee haw. 

Lennie Hibbert was one of Coxsone Dodd's session hires at Studio One, one of the most consistently great reggae labels in its day (the peak being the early sixties to late seventies). Hibbert was a vibes player, not an instrument that's barely audible on reggae recordings. But Dodd was into jazz and put out a few records by Hibbert. The two LPs I've heard are awesome. Some reggae, some a little more jazzy, and some a little funky. But it's all good and the unlikely juxtapositions of instruments works, It fills a void you didn't know existed.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen: 
Lennie Hibbert - Creation, Full LP (streaming) at YouTube
Lennie Hibbert - Creation (via ADrive) at Ghost Capital Full LP zip with 12 individual mp3s. Go to Ghost Capital for the song list.

1 comment:

BigWord said...

I always go for the vibes! If I'm contemplating downloading some jazz or something, vibes always seals the deal. But then down the road, I can't remember which artists they are.