Monday, March 2, 2020

LEARN SHIT YOU DIDN'T KNOW

Years ago my friend Eric used to drive a pick-up truck. On the back, a bumper sticker for the local jazz station. I took note. This was a guy I knew from the gang I used to hang with at the beach. We were all rock dudes, with some surf music, blues and so forth. Martin Denny was about as exotic as we got. But none of us were listening to jazz at the time. There were some people I went to school with dabbled in fusion, but no one was listening to regular jazz. So, yeah, the bumper sticker was telling. Eric had actually named his cat Miles. It would be a few years before I gave jazz a fair shake, thanks to another friend, but still, Eric planted the seed. So today when I saw a friend of mine posted a link to a new documentary on Miles Davis, Eric was the first person I thought of, I haven't watched it yet, but it'll be online until March 25th. So if you don't know shit about jazz, and I really don't, this documentary might be a good place to start. Note: It might not be available in all countries.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Miles Davis - Nuit Sur Les Champs-Elysees  (Take 2) mp3 at Aurgasm
Miles Davis - Final  (Take 1) mp3
at Aurgasm
Miles Davis - Le Petit Bal (Take 1) mp3
at Drummerworld
Documentary:
Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool (American Masters)
at PBS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched the doc last week. It's good, and I definitely learned a lot.

Marc