Saturday, March 14, 2020

HEY RICH, THIS IS THE GUY.

A friend of mine stopped by a couple nights ago, one of a very few who are full on reggae fiends and he's probably the most full on of the bunch. I haven't seen him for a while. He knows reggae enough that a conversation can be challenging, in a good way. Let's say that he's knows his U Roy from his Big Youth. So, it was kind of surprising when he said that he doesn't listen to reggae much these days. He said that he primarily listens to the jazz station, which I understand. I listen to the jazz station myself. Right then, I thought of a song I'd just listened to a few nights ago and was thinking about how it was one of the best examples of reggae with at least a part of it jazz informed. I asked him if he'd ever heard of Cedric Im Brooks. He said he hadn't, adding "write it down" and before I had a chance to the conversation went off to a general distaste for what is currently thought of as reggae. That part of the conversation was cathartic. I've known this particular guy for thirty years and our friendship began with a shared love of reggae. He understands why the current stuff doesn't move me like the old school reggae. He gets me. What more can you ask of a friend?

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Cedric IM Brooks and The Sound Dimension - Mun-Dun-Gu mp3 at Cocoringo's Circadian Sounds
Visit:
Rhythm Revolution: Cedric “Im” Brooks at Wax Poitics Long profile and interview with a few songs (streaming).

No comments: