Sunday, January 12, 2020

WHY NOTHING EVER GETS DONE, PART 46

Well, there goes an hour of doinkin' around. I was browsing Cover Me and ran into a cover of the Wailers' "Slave Driver" by a quartet of banjo players, Our Native Daughters. It could suck, that's what I was thinking. It did not. It's great, a completely different song. I mean, the same song, but the feel is completely different.

Our Native Daughters


I thought I'd round up the Wailers version for comparison and all hell broke loose. I ran into all sorts of versions that I hadn't planned on. But, hell, since I ran across them, might as well pass on the links. If you know the version of "Slave Driver" that most people know, it's the version on the first big Bob Marley and the Wailers LP, Catch A Fire, and probably the Island Records version that has overdubs of session musicians on top the Wailers. I'm not sure where one of the versions below is from. It sounds like a regular recording session, but the instrumentation is more sparse and there's a handful of people clapping at the end. It definitely sounds unfinished. But I dig it, it's not as spit shined.

I went looking for a discography that might show all of the different versions to see what version I might have been listening to. I made the mistake of going to Wailers Discography. Makes sense right? Problem was, I ended up checking out stuff other than a definitive list of all of the versions of "Slave Driver". Then I ran into an "alternate weed mix" of "Stir It Up" and listened to it a few times. After that I was no longer in the mood for any of this nonsense.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 

No comments: