Friday, January 24, 2020

GREAT TACOS IN HISTORY

I haven't been to Tijuana in ages. I'm only 18 miles from the border, but the stricter ID regulations for crossing the border require two official government issued IDs to cross, so I'm in the process of getting the second one I need. I'm a little apprehensive. Just like people from New York City who have told me that I wouldn't recognize the neighborhood I lived in during a short period in 1986 (Lower East Side), I've been told that TJ has been spiffed up and you have to go into the back streets to get the vibe of yore. Fine, I can do that. It's strange that I've let so much time pass since the last time I was down there. Particularly because I have nothing but good memories. I love Mexico and have never had a bad experience. Hairy, yes, but always unscathed.

Los Pingüinos del Norte


I was already thinking about Mexico while listening to a couple cuts of norteño by Los Pingüinos del Norte. Then, in the middle of one of the songs I start getting the smells. My neighbor is grilling steak right outside my kitchen door. All of a sudden I'm transported to the taco stand next to the Woolworths on Revolución in downtown Tijuana. All I need is the smell of a just opened Corona (sans lime fuck you very much) and the smell of beat up cars burning leaded gas. Nevermind the fact that Los Pingüinos del Norte are from somewhere south of Texas, this sort of shit played all over the bars in TJ, bars not unlike the one in the photo above.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Los Pingüinos Del Norte - Yo Soy Norteño mp3 at For the Sake of the Song
Los Pingüinos Del Norte - Corrido De Luz Arcos mp3
at For the Sake of the Song

No comments: