Thursday, January 2, 2020

SUCCUMB TO COOL

Last night while I was working on the post of Betty Everett, I let YouTube roll in the background. After a few songs it went to a Barbara Lynn video. Hearing it still in the background, I heard it was a cover of "What'd I Say". Okay, clicked the tab and, oh holy hell, she was so cool, her moves, playing, outfit, the whole package. I was trying to think of what female guitar player would even come close on the cool spectrum. Ivy from the Cramps came to mind, as did Bo Diddley's sister and backing guitarist, the Duchess. But neither of them were known for their singing as well. This is one of those clips that reminds you why you like music so much. I gotta say, I try to ignore the cool factor sometimes, as if it carries too much weight when evaluating a singer or musician (or author, artist, actor, ...) but there is no denying Lynn's coolness. Put that load right on me.


~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Barbara Lynn - Got Love If You want It mp3 at Dial Tone Records
Barbara Lynn - I'm A Good Woman mp3
at J-Bird (?)
Barbara Lynn - You'll Lose a Good Thing
(streaming) at YouTube Her big hit.
Visit:
50 Historic Black Women Guitarists and Bassists You Need To Know
at She Shreds
While searching for an image I ran across a post "50 Historic Black Women Guitarists and Bassists You Need To Know" at She Shreds, a cool survey but a couple selections were just unknown women that happen to be holding guitars. No ID, no music. If these are guitarists who we need to know and they don't even know who they are, they really ought to be taken off the list, even if it's not a convenient fifty. But, hey, I see that a friend of mine made it! Ms Joyce Rooks #37, yo.

No comments: