Wednesday, September 7, 2016

DAPTONE ROCK

I don't follow the rock magazines, and I often have a hard time buying into the recommendations of strangers regardless. There's just too much hype, spread way too fast by people without a decent comprehension of what music has been done before and making comparisons to other bands that aren't all that accurate. But when I get a heads up from my dear friend Jacqui Ramirez, someone I used to do a fanzine with, someone I've known long enough that it was her that turned me on to Richard Hell way back in the day, when I get a heads up from her, you better believe I'm listening. And when she suggests that I listen without watching a video first, I do. A recommendation the old fashioned way, word of mouth. So it is that I am apparently late to this party, but I guarantee you, the last beer in the fridge still isn't safe.

Mystery Lights are the first rock 'n' roll band to be released on Daptone's new imprint label Wick. They recorded in Daptone's studio, so you know it went through a quality filter without being subjected to an intentionally lo-fi-posing-as-garage type mix. This could get good.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Mystery Lights - Melt mp3 at Still In Rock If the link doesn't work, go there and scroll down to the bottom of the post
The Mystery Lights - More songs at their Bandcamp Page 

3 comments:

espen E said...

Hey Tom! Off to see the Mystery Lights for the third time tomorrow. Bringing Isak along too. Real high expectations 'cause last time they were here was capital M magic (helluva lot tighter than the first time they were here which was a bit sloppy but still good). A report might follow :)

e

Tom G. said...

Well, how were they? More important, did they get the Isak seal of approval?

espen E said...

Yes; Isak absolutely gives them his seal of approval - 100%, and although the last time I saw them gave me more of a kick personally, I can tell you they're still tight as ever - tighter even, probably. Still write good songs too. Not only that, but turns out they’re really sweet guys (and a gal now). Yup; pestered them after the gig while getting them to sign their latest release, and introducing the lead singer to Isak («I brought my son along tonight - the shy lookin' long haired slacker right over there...") he immediately went over and gave him (one embarrassed teen) a hearty hug, telling him he’d noticed him up front, digging the set... Like I said; sweet guys!

e