Monday, April 26, 2021

PER USUAL, LATE TO THE PARTY


Just another random link. I had no idea who Bernard Purdie was but the name seemed familiar, so I clicked. Holy shit, right out of the gate, "Hap'nin'", a drumming tour de force. This guy is funky as hell. He had to be a drummer's drummer. I had to have heard this guy. As it turns out he is, and I had. The Aretha and King Curtis cuts below were the first two that popped up, but the dude's played with everybody.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Bernard Purdie - Hap'nin' mp3
at Sunrise
Aretha Franklin - Rock Steady mp3
at Drummer World
King Curtis - Memphis Soul Stew mp3
at Drummer World
Visit:
Bernard Purdie session discography (partial)
at Wikipedia
Bernard Purdie solo discography at Wikipedia

4 comments:

plasticsun said...

Yes, a drummer's drummer. Strangely though, he has claimed that he played on many Rolling Stones and Beatles songs

espen E said...

When I started checking out YT for drum lessons a couple years ago, it didn't take long before Purdie's name popped up, so yeah... Now, maybe it's time to give the "Purdie Shuffle" another go...

(Haven't heard about any claims re. the Stones, but (as far as I understand) him claiming to have played on most of the early Beatles hits, it apparently boils down to him overdubbing Pete Best's tracks on some pre-Ringo recordings.)

e

Tom G. said...

Hey e, you know what I like? I've been listening intently to music for roughly five decades and I'm still learning about legendary musicians that I never heard of.

Steve D. said...

Look for the explicit movie "Lialeh" (1973), which I own and have shown in semi-public a handful of times. B. Purdie's music is on the soundtrack, and the scene with his drum solo is repeated once to pad out the movie's run time.
(To be honest, it is a pretty good movie. But it will depend on your acceptance of black males having sex with white females.)