Friday, April 23, 2021

THE SIX WORD BAND NAME THAT MAKES NO SENSE

Reposting for a reason. I was just talking with a neighbor across the alley about Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her, and thought I'd make this post easy to find as a welcome here to the (digital) neighborhood. So, without further ado, the post from a couple years ago:

Gads! Calling it quits early tonight. I had the good fortune of tracking down some hard to find tunes by Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her, then ruined the mood by trying to take it further and running across a Greek rockabilly blog that only served to remind me how entirely cliche modern rockabilly has become. We need to face it, rockabilly is all but dead. I wouldn't say completely gone, because there are still a few true practitioners out there, but by and large most new stuff is crap.

So, Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her (who some refer to as SSKHKH for brevity but I choose not to because I happen to like dragging your ass through reading Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her over and over again) were the great find of the night. They were a Japanese three piece, and their stuff is kind of hard to define. Kind of like Sonic Youth, not quite as dense but with a similar crunch, without getting overly arty. I ran across a five song EP, from 1996, a decent enough introduction. Just know that their stuff does not pop up very often, other than YouTube, so dig in. Here's a good live video from a reformed (I think) six member version of Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her in 2014. Hang in there through the :42 intro, then decide.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her – Fly EP (zip) at Egg City Radio
Five songs:
It's Good It's Real
Fitting (Motorhead and Fuck version)
I'm A Diva
Choking
If I happen to Fall Down (In Your Arms)

Video:
Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her - Coma
at YouTube
Visit:
Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her, A Retrospective
at Louder Than War Good profile.

No comments: