Wednesday, April 1, 2020

RANIL FAVORED HIS LEFT KNEE

Last night a buddy of mine posted a link to a compilation that he'd just received from Analog Africa, Ranil y su Conjunto Tropical. Ranil, born Raúl Llerena Vásquez was a Peruvian bandleader whose career was spent in a part of the coastline that was surrounded by a forest so dense that it was only accessible by sea or air, so as you would imagine no one knew who the fuck he was. Few outside of his region anyway. So, yeah, my buddy jumped on this release. He's one of the few people I know that digs international music as much as I do. I only run into him about once a month despite the fact that he lives about a half block away.



When he posted that link to the compilation, knowing his taste, I went to check it out. It was good, really good, so I bookmarked it for a purchase in the future. Then I looked as Analog Africa's other offerings and noticed that they had a compilation, Stay Safe and Sound, that was posted for those of us that are housebound. It's one of those Bandcamp "name you price" things. Guess what it is? A second compilation of Ranil y su Conjunto Tropical. Okay, so already jazzed, I bookmarked that that as well. This is late last night. So I get up this morning and step outside, and what do  I run into? My friend walking towards me with a burned copy of the first compilation. So, all signs say that I'll know a lot more about this Ranil dude before the month is out.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Stay Safe and Sound - Ranil Selection - Free "Name your price" psych-cumbia jams at Analog Africa
Ranil y su Conjunto Tropical (Limited Dance Edition)
at Analog Africa Buy the goods.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

something else to know - he just passed last weekend. RIP.

Tom G. said...

That sucks. I tried to find something mentioning his passing but couldn't find anything. Can you post a link?