Sunday, April 12, 2020

KILLAH. TERRIBLE. DREADFUL.

When the Covid-19 shit really started to hit the fan, the Ethiopians' "Hong Kong Flu" came to mind and once it did it's just been, to paraphrase Dillinger, running around my brain. It was posted here eight years ago, but worth a listen again now. After hearing the song over the years, and and taking a cursory look at Hong Kong flu entry at Wikipedia, I realized it how serious it was. Just a few years ago I was re-reading the liner notes from a compilation, and I remember thinking then, oh, man, that was some serious shit. Good thing that won't happen again. It fucking did.

"Hong Kong Flu" is a public service song of sorts, it cracks   me up in a I shouldn't be laughing at this sort of way. The way it sounds so lighthearted, all while singing "It's a killah, woa-oh, uh-huh, it's a killah, woa-oh, uh-huh, it's terrible and dreadful mon,..." But you know what? Those are the lines that have been stuck in my head the past few days.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Ethiopians - Hong Kong Flu mp3 at Beware of the Blog
The Ethiopians - The Whip mp3
at Dinosaur Gardens
The Ethiopians - Knowledge Is Power mp3
at Kazoo Wailers (?)
The Ethiopians - Everything Crash mp3
at Music Like Dirt
The Ethiopians - Free Man mp3
at Tumblr

No comments: