Sunday, April 19, 2020

OKAY BOYS, SHOW ME "PLAIN"

Many years ago a friend of mine went on a Bowie fast. She liked David Bowie so much that she stopped listening to him so she wouldn't get sick of him. This was back when he only had about a half dozen albums out. Though the term "Bowie fast" was kind of comical, it made sense. I'd done something similar in the past without really labeling as a fast, but I've laid off LPs that I played a lot so that I wouldn't tire of them. In some cases, not only did I not get sick of them, when I went back and listened to them again, I heard parts that I hadn't heard before despite having heard them a zillion times.

Last night I ended an unintended Creedence fast. It had just gotten to the point that I pretty much knew every lick of every song on their first five or six LPs. The candle was flickering. Then this stay at home order. Day after day of the same thing. Had to break it up. I'd resisted going to familiar albums but ended up going with Green River anyway. It had been a while. I'd forgotten how good they were at their peak. Fogerty wrote some damn good songs, oh shit, i don't want to go down that path. I haven't got all night, Here's a couple, neither from Green River. "Suzie Q" is their first single and hit, a Dale Hawkins cover. "Penthouse Pauper" is Creedence at their most Creedence. That song could have been a hit had it not been on the same LP as "Born on the Bayou" and "Proud Mary". It's my favorite Creedence song and that's all I really give a shit about.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Penthouse Pauper mp3 at The Adios Lounge
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Suzie Q (Part 1) mp3 at  Tumblr

No comments: