Tuesday, April 21, 2020

JAMES BROWN? CHECK. GINGER BAKER? CHECK.

Ever heard of the Dapps? Me neither, not until a couple hours ago. They were a band from Cincinnati that somehow ended up working within James Brown's orbit, filling in when any of Brown's Famous Flames was sick. They had a few of their own records and, from I've heard so far, they smoke. "The Rabbit Got the Gun" is credited to The Dapps Featuring Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis (Ellis being a JB first stringer). The Dapps/Ellis version of "Rabbit" came out in 1968, the JB's proper did their own version a couple years later.

Here's where fucking around gets fun. After hearing another Dapps/Ellis song, "There Was A Time", with some insanely good sax, I had to look up ol' Alfred Ellis. Ho-ly shit, he's the sax player that was on Ginger Baker's Why? LP a few years back! I love that Baker LP! You'd think I'd know his name, there's only four musicians on the damn album. How could I have never looked this guy up before? So lame. My pre-Google self would be appalled. This shit just never ends.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:

No comments: