Wednesday, November 7, 2018

HOWDY FROM THE HELL AWAY FROM HERE

Okay, first off, you've no doubt noticed that fantastic album cover above. Simple, no over-designed nonsense. Inoffensive font, nice color contrast with a beautiful woman to boot. Hell yes I clicked.

Akova Akoussah's "I Tcho Tchass" is awesome. Dreamy, smokey, like a torch singer. The vocals are in a language I don't understand which only adds to the song being beyond a song, or really maybe the whole point of song. This thing, this ethereal blob.



After that, a completely different band, Les Ambassadeurs Du Motel De Bamako (above), every bit as evening changing. After listening to it their "M’bouram Mousso", I kept playing it, three times in a row, to try and figure out why I liked music like theirs. Yes, it's remotely like Fela, African music that jams and has an unusual assortment of instruments, but why do I like Fela? It's because music like that takes me out of here, away from all sorts of toxic American shit, away from work, bills, cleaning the toilet. When I listen to music like that, I'm in some sort of place-less orb. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

The hosting site, Aquarium Drunkard posted these two songs, and a handful of others. They discourage direct linking to the mp3s, but if you go there, you can click on the song titles to get them. The post is about Akoussah and Sonafric Records and it is a worthy exit.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Akova Akoussah - Sonafric Records at Aquarium Drunkard Eight assorted songs from the Sonafric Records label. Go there to get them. Don't forget the Les Ambassadeurs Du Motel De Bamako cut.

No comments: