Saturday, November 17, 2018

SONG THE NOMADIC HIPPIE TAUGHT ME

I was down at the beach today, shooting the shit with a guy who lives in a converted school bus ("Adam, like the first fuck up" is how he introduced himself a while back). Nice guy, and a good talker, with an opinion about everything. Today there was another converted school bus parked by his, and it was his buddy's, the guy lounging on the grass doing some sort of art project. That guy had a speaker thing hooked up to his phone. I was drawn by Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay", a song I wouldn't expect to be on the playlist of some long hair with those Frisbee things in his ears. As I was talking to the first fuck up, the next song was Al Green's "Tired of Being Alone". At this point I'm paying more attention to the playlist than the conversation.

The next song was "He Was Really Saying Something" by the Velvelettes. Well shut my mouth, I never realized that Bananarama's "Really Saying Something" was a cover. I shouldn't be surprised because Bananarama did a ton of covers, and it's been so long since I listened to them, or even thought about them, I'll give myself a pass. Full disclosure: I liked them for about a year or so back in the eighties. I gotta admit, I thought they were cool looking gals, I mean, look at them. Pretty, yes, but not the sort of band you're going to latch onto for years to come.


They did pick some good covers. When I went searching for the Velvelette's original, I found that Bananarama's first 45, "Aie a Mwana" was a cover as well. Theirs seems to be based not on the original by Le Monde fabuleux des Yamasuki, but another cover by Black Blood. Ah, Black Blood, never heard of 'em, but the live video of them at YouTube has me going in an entirely different direction. Time to cut out before this turns into one of those all night webs of distraction. I'll report back.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Bananarama - Really Saying Something mp3 at ATumblr (?)
Bananarama - Aie a Mwana mp3 at Narod.ru (?) Note: Russian site, phasers on stun.
Bananarama - No Feelings mp3 at Narod.ru (?) Sex Pistols cover. Ditto above warning.
Video:
Black Blood - Aie a Mwana at YouTube

No comments: