Monday, November 12, 2018

WILLIE TEE. I DIDN'T KNOW EITHER.

Man, I love it when this happens. Going through old bookmarks, I ended up on a post from 2009 on Soul Garage. Willie Tee. Never heard of him. After checking "Sweet Thing", it became apparent that despite my lack of familiarity and the budget look of the 45, this was a guy who should have been a household name. "Sweet Thing" sounds an awful lot like the Norman Whitfield produced psychedelic soul-era Temptations, but with one singer instead of five. Actually, he sounds like Marvin Gaye being produced by Whitfield. Whatever, it's great, and remarkable in that it was on what appears to be a self financed label, Gatur Records. Tee, as it turns out, was in two New Orleads bands, the Wild Magnolias and the Gaturs. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that, if he was the singer in the Gaturs, and the record was on Gatur Records, it was probably the Gaturs backing him.

Off to YouTube, to check out these Gaturs. Click. Oh holy hell, I'm gonna OD on gaturs. The first song I hear is "Gatur Bait". Here I go, careening into a black hole of Gatur all up in your face. And this is how you lose an evening. And lengthen the list.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Willie Tee - Sweet Thing mp3 at Soul Garage
The Gaturs - Gatur Bait (streaming) at YouTube
Willie Tee - Man That I Am mp3 at Soul Garage Go there to get it.

No comments: