Friday, November 23, 2018

HOWDY FROM THE BACK OF THE STACK

Fuck, I'm lame. Ever go walking around with nothing but disdain for people that cherry pick LPs and don't listen to them in their entirety? Not that many LPs before the late sixties were actually conceived as a full albums, rather a handful of recent singles with some filler B material, but still, to know a band is to know more than the hits, the "deep cuts". So I'm an asshole. I believe all of that, yet I still came across a Mitch Ryder song, "I Got It Made", that I don't remember ever hearing, despite having owned the LP it's from for well over twenty years. It could be that I never really listened to it closely enough to hear the battle of the honking saxes, because once you've noticed the sax interplay in in, you cannot un-hear it. Check it out, an :57 right after the second verse and sporadically through the second half of the song. How the hell could I have not noticed that? There is only one answer. Guilty as charged: cherry picker.

Thankfully, "Sock It to Me Baby!" never suffered that fate. Had that one on a  45 with a picture sleeve, courtesy of the thrift store that used to be on Market Street, just past Thirteenth (records in the back room to the left). Funny, the shit you remember.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels - I Had It Made mp3 at Groove Addict
Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels - Sock It to Me Baby! mp3
ATumblr (?)

No comments: