Wednesday, June 13, 2018

COLLEGE RADIO SAYS "WHAT?"

That record above was my first impression of Fela, at least with the knowledge of who Fela was. It was the mid-eghties. I'd actually heard him before, on Ginger Baker's LP Stratavarious. That was about ten years earlier. I didn't know who he was on that one, so the name didn't register and all I discerned after listening to that LP was that the music was not at all what I expected from the drummer from Cream regardless of who he was playing with. The EP above, "Army Arrangement" (plus a couple other songs) was written up in New York Rocker, or it might have been the Village Voice. I don't remember what the review say, but I seem to remember he was in prison or jail at the time. I could be wrong. Regardless it must have been an effective write up because I bought it, listened to it, and was introduced to Fela, the man now with a name. And with a name, he was now eligible for inclusion on the list which is why, years later, I have a mess of his shit. Why am I telling you this? I'm bailing. Here's a couple that I haven't posted before.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Fela Kuti - Army Arrangement mp3 at IPI Times (?) 1985
Fela Kuti - Upside Down mp3 at IPI Times (?) 1976

No comments: