Friday, June 29, 2018

TINKER TO EVERS TO CHANCE ROCK

Man, someone laced my rolled tacos with a Distract-o-pill, because I'm all over the place tonight. I was looking at something else on NPR's site when I saw a thing about a Joe Strummer box set that's coming out in a few months. I'm in no way a big enough Joe Strummer fiend to pick up a multi-disc set that includes stuff from the 101ers. But one song that is included in the set is "London Is Burning", Having never heard the song before, I was thinking how much it sounded like Rocket From the Crypt. I don't need much of an excuse to listen to Rocket, so I went to the set at Xtrmntr that was, at the time, the host's own version of what All Systems Go 3 would be, (All Systems Go and All Systems Go 2 were compilations of unreleased and single-only songs.) After the imagined All Systems Go 3 was posted, Rocket did indeed release one, with their own selections. After listening to a few cuts that I'd heard before, I checked out "On the Prowl". Dang me if there aren't chord changes on it that owe a debt to Larry William's "Slow Down", intended or not. That sent me to Larry Williams and that's where I leave you, because the night is about to be turned over to Specialty Records, and I know that's a cul-de-sac I'm not coming back from.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Joe Strummer - London Is Burning (streaming) at NPR Near bottom of post.
Rocket From the Crypt - On the Prowl mp3
at Xtrmntr
Larry Williams - Slow Down mp3
at Mercury Paradise
Rocket From the Crypt - ASG3
at Xtrmntr 29 songs

Specialty Records posts

No comments: