Sunday, July 14, 2019

THIS LADY

A friend of mine posted a video of the Arrows on YouTube, them doing the original version of "I Love Rock 'n' Roll", the song that Joan Jett made a hit in the eighties. I've always thought of it as kind of a corny song, but always given it a pass because the sentiment was, well, fuck, I do love rock 'n' roll, and goddamit cornballs are welcome too. It doesn't hurt that I know for a fact that Joan Jett does indeed love rock 'n' roll. She's entitled to roll with the cornballs if she wants to, she's earned it. Check the clip linked below of her with the Foo Fighters. She was 55 years old. Amazing. In the other video from this year, she's 60. Shiiit, you try that. I've not always been a fan of her music, but I am of her.


~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Videos:
Joan Jett with the Foo Fighters - I Love Rock 'n' Roll (Lollapalooza, Brasil 2012) at YouTube
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - Full live set, 2019 at YouTube

2 comments:

espen e said...

The coincidence! Was a documentary on TV about THAT LADY just last week. Like you; never been a fan of her music but I sat through the whole thing, entertained. Admittedly, Miley Cyrus popping up near the end sort of torpedoed the mood, but Joan had earned some cool-points along the way. Gotta say; in her prime, her onstage FU-sneer could compete with anyone's.

PS. Checking online just now to find the docu title – "Bad Reputation" – I came across a review (https://decider.com/2019/06/28/bad-reputation-joan-jett-documentary-review/) which redirected me here: https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/the-lost-girls/. Not so cool.

PPS. Off to Berlin tomorrow for two weeks of family fun. Will probably be offline for the duration. Comments on again when I get back!

Espen

Tom G. said...

Espen!

Haven't read that Lost Girls thing but I know enough about Kim Fowley to know it's gonna be creepy. The first time I ran into him on the corner outside the Whiskey, he was with Rodney Bingenheimer, and was checking out a teenage girl in the group I was with like a dirty old man. He made audible comments to Bingenheimer that left no question about where his mind was. Fucking creep.

I was about eighteen when they they were starting out and my brother had a total crush on Jackie Fox. When punk hit I used to see Joan Jett at shows all the time, but never any of the other Runaways. In fact, her and Darby Crash (the Germs' singer) were the first two people I ever saw scrapping in front of a stage, about three years before mosh pits, stage diving and all of that. It was at a show in a small rented hall, the Weirdos playing, and if my memory serves me, the Zeros opened. Ahh, the good ol' days.

Have fun in Berlin! Bring some CBD oil for Angie Merkel!