Saturday, July 20, 2019

PROTO-POST-PUNK

If I'd never heard this song and new nothing of the artist, if it was the first time I'd ever heard it, I'd be ecstatic. I've heard it a lot, but not in a long while. I'd forgotten what a great song it is. Here goes the asshole comparison: Hearing it again today, it's like Television meets the early Modern Lovers, on speed. I don't expect that to be a decipherable description unless you're familiar with both bands, and speed. But, man, this song achieves the near impossible, a song with at least a couple electric guitars and a driving beat but you can't really consider it a rocker. It's not really a singer songwriter thing as the lyrics don't do shit, the electronics are fairly minimized so it's not really a synth song, the guitar heroics are all but absent (though the guitar work is the shit). I gotta say, it's good to hear it again whatever the hell it is.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Brian Eno - Third Uncle mp3 at For the Sake of the Song

1 comment:

Rozi said...

Exactly. I've always felt that this song was the first of the first new wave--what most new wave yearned to be and never really achieved. Proto-post-punk also works. Then there was you.