Thursday, July 25, 2019

BUT DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO SING?

Man, I don't know shit about Chet Baker. I know that he started out with marquee looks and from all appearances must have been a charmed life. Playing with Gerry Mulligan, Stan Getz and Charlie Parker would lead you to believe that. I have a couple LPs one with Mulligan (who hasn't "met" Gerry Mulligan?) and one with Getz. The one thing that has always bugged me is his vocal numbers, not that he wasn't a good jazz singer. But his vocals are always so, I don't know, soft, that it seems like it was just a way to make the ladies swoon. You just want to grab him by the scruff of the neck and yell, "Blow, man, blow!!". But, man, what a tragic life. In and out of jail all the time, being a junkie, getting beat up, getting kicked out of countries. He's like that friend of yours that always has an excess of drama going on in their life. Sad, but after it happens again and again, your first instinct is to stay the fuck away. Like that friend with drama, I've never really given him a fair shake. I'll try.



~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Chet Baker - September Song mp3 at Beware of the Blog
Chet Baker - It's You Or No One mp3 at Drummer World
Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine mp3 at Bobo Parisienne
Chet Baker - Let's Get Lost mp3 at Mr. Suave

No comments: