Monday, July 8, 2019

ONE LP, TWO SINGLES, TWO YEARS, KAPUT.

Revisiting the Rock-A-Teens stuff online that I never exhausted, I went looking for an image. The horror. An "indie" band had at some point taken the name as their own. I sampled about thirty seconds of a couple of songs of this latter day Rock*A*Teens, and found nothing of the slightest interest to me. What the fuck is "indie" supposed to be anyways? I'm no ignoramus, I know that it is a shortened way of saying "independent", but since when has that described a sound? Indie, as in independently released, doesn't define a sound. It defines a budget. Phooey on that shit. It's all bogus.



Back to the OG Rock-A-Teens. I'd forgotten that they did the original version of "Woo Hoo", the song covered by the 5.6.7.8's. The 5.6.7.8's are an awesome juxtaposition, particularly that clip from the Jonathan Ross Show (below). Japanese women with beehives, tight dresses and heels, playing this raw rock 'n' roll instrumental complete with a mid-song drum solo just like the original. Those ladies are a good hour or two detour right there. But I was on a dig for Rock-A-Teens. I ran into a bio that is as complete as there is available online. It's at Black Cat Rockabilly. Who knew that the Rock-A-Teens originally recorded for the same label as Micky Hawks? I sure didn't. So, I thought that since this Black Cat Rockabilly apparently knew their shit, I'd take a look at the other bios posted there. Black hole alert. Budget the next five years. That's all I'm saying.


~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Rock-A-Teens - Woo Hoo mp3 at Rockabilly Hall
The Rock-A-Teens - Twangy mp3
at Rocky 52
The Rock-A-Teens - That's My Mama mp3
at Rocky 52
The 5.6.7.8s - Bomb the Twist EP
(via Mediafire) at Poison in the Machine Five song EP, including "Woo Hoo" in a zip
Video:

The 5.6.7.8's 'Woo Hoo in Kill Bill Vol. 1 at YouTube
5.6.7.8's -I Walk Like Jayne Mansfield, and I'm Blue
at The House Of Blue Leaves at YouTube
Visit:

Rock-A-Teens bio at Black Cat Rockabilly
Black Cat Rockabilly The biographies are under the This Is My Story heading

No comments: