Friday, July 16, 2021

STRAIGHT OUTTA WORLD, OKAY? DONE.


I revisited Zara Moussa again. Who? I know. I'd forgotten. She's a rapper from Niger, West Africa. There a couple things that kind of stood out listening this time. One is that her sound seems more organic, in a way, than American hip hop. While there are synthetic (er, digital) elements, the sparse backing with even the lightest touch of percussion grounds it. It might just be the locale, because hip hop from other countries always sounds less processed that the American version. In Moussa's case it might too be that with fewer rappers, particularly female rappers, in West Africa there's less of a chest beating attitude. At least I think there is, I can't understand a single word she's saying. But the delivery is less in-your-face than it is matter-of-fact. The other thing that hit me is that this might have been the sort of thing that the re-formed Slits would have been headed for had the late Ari Up still been alive. Who the hell knows? I just dig this stuff. Check the video below. I don't even want to describe it or say how much I like it. I don't want to ruin it for...fuck it. The thing is awesome.

No comments: