Friday, January 13, 2023

NO VICTORY LAP YET. IT'S ONLY 8:46


The other day when I heard that Jeff Beck had passed, I went looking for Beck, Bogart and Appice's cover of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" because I hadn't heard it in ages. I couldn't find an mp3 so I passed on it. Today, yeah, you guessed it. I just ran across it; and it's Friday the 13th, it kinda ties in so why the hell not post it? I gotta say though, while it's a classic slice of seventies power trio guitar rock, my taste is little broader than it was when I was a teenager devouring seventies power trio guitar rock. In other words, I definitely prefer Stevie Wonder's original. Kill me, I'm gettin' soft. Don't tell the guys around the keg.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Stevie Wonder - Superstition mp3
at Internet Archive 1972
Stevie Wonder - Superstition (Live) mp3
at Troubled Souls Unite 1974
Beck, Bogart and Appice - Superstition mp3
at Internet Archive 1973

2 comments:

Marc said...

Soft? No, Stevie Wonder's version is definitely better.
I kind of like Beck's version of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - though I'm not hearing any Lester Young in there, and that was the point of Mingus' original version.

Marc

Steve D. said...

The story that I have heard on a couple of music podcasts is that Stevie Wonder wrote the song and recorded it with the Jeff Beck Group as its target. But when Berry Gordy, Jr. listened to Stevie's record, he bit his lip and decided, "No, we're putting out that record on Tamla. It's a hit."
It became a big hit despite an entire 7-inch pressing run of it burning down with the edifice when American Record Pressing in Owosso, Michigan went down in flames on 30 October 1972.