Friday, January 20, 2023

SORRY ABOUT THAT CHEIF ROCK


Back in the day my brother was in a bunch of bands that lasted only a party or two, but he never failed to come up with a band name even if it for just one gig.  One was the Sacred Cows, named after a fictitious band (above) from an episode of Get Smart. Get Smart was a TV series in the mid-late sixties, a spy spoof (created by Buck Henry and Mel Brooks). It had been a while since I saw the clip of the Sacred Cows on Get Smart. The songs title, "Kill, Kill, Kill", yeah, I'm going in. So I tracked it down and the clip I found actually had the real names of the musicians playing the Sacred Cows. I'd never taken the next step so I started digging.



It turns out that one of the Sacred Cows was Jerry Scheff, the dad of someone who was a few years behind me in high school. Jerry Scheff ended up playing with Elvis and his son ended up as lead singer and bass player for Chicago for a few years (Disclaimer: Chicago lost me after Live at Carnegie Hall.) It turns out that the senior Scheff put out an album with a band called Goldenrod (seen below), which also included another ex-Sacred Cow, Ben Benay. So I checked out the Goldenrod LP and, guess what, it ain't bad! These guys met playing on Fifth Dimension sessions so what you're getting is studio musicians doing a late sixties power trio hard rock semi-psych thing. It's like one long song, one solo after another, loud, sometimes sparse, sludge. It's all instrumental with no excessive effects so it comes off as a very long jam, like an opening band taking up space because Led Zep are stuck in traffic. Good for a soundtrack to something.



Shit, then I ran into a damn good cover of "Kill, Kill, Kill" by a punk band that even lifted the band name Sacred Cows. This second Sacred Cows had stuff out on Mystic so I'd guess that would put them in the early eighties. I hate to think where this leads. I'm that bored.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Goldenrod - 1969 (Full Album, HQ)
(streaming) at YouTube
The Sacred Cows - Kill Kill Kill
(streaming) at YouTube
The Sacred Cows - Wasteland
(streaming) at YouTube
Visit:
"Get Smart" and The Sacred Cows
at This Small Planet

No comments: