Wednesday, July 28, 2021

DECADES OF COOL, WITH HEAVY HITTERS


I started early today, a little after 8 AM. In my car and switched to the jazz station. Milt Jackson, some song that was really swinging. I put Milt Jackson under my thinking cap. If I couldn't think of anything else to post during the course of the day, Jackson would be it. Guess what? I couldn't think of anything else during the coarse of the day so it's Milt Jackson and some of his heavy friends. The Ray Brown Big Band? Okay, not familiar with them. But I am familiar with Thelonius Monk, Art Blakey, the Modern Jazz Quartet, Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, Billy Cobham, and Ray Charles. Wait? Ray Charles? Yep. Milt Jackson is that cool.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Milt Jackson with the Ray Brown Big Band - Braddok Breakdown mp3
at Groove Addict 1969
Milt Jackson - Willow Weep For Me mp3
at Internet Archive With Thelonius Monk and Art Blakey 1952
Milt Jackson and the Modern Jazz Quartet - But Not for Me mp3
at Internet Archive 1953
Milt Jackson with Ray Charles - How Long Blues mp3
at Groove Addict 1957
Milt Jackson - Born Free mp3
at Groove Addict 1966
Milt Jackson - A Time and a Place mp3
at Groove Addict 1966
Milt Jackson - Sunflower mp3
at London Jazz Collector With Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock and Billy Cobham 1972

2 comments:

BigWord said...

Oh man, Ray Brown got on my radar when I was a teenager, and I had a Joe Pass album, his tribute to Duke Ellington. Ray Brown played bass. Then I noticed he was also on Quincy Jones' soundtrack for the original In The Heat Of The Night movie, starring Sydney Poitier. Since then, I always grabbed anything I could find where Ray Brown was involved. Thanks for this!

Tom G. said...

And that is how the list grows. I love it when you hear someone and end up liking them enough to take notice whenever their name pops up. Thanks for piping in and don't be a stranger BigWord!