Thursday, July 29, 2021

OH YES IT'S PENANCE NIGHT


After hearing Dusty Hill, ZZ Top bassist, passed away, I went looking for some early stuff. All of the old links here were dead so I did a search and came up with squat outside of YouTube. I am not going to bother recommending particular songs, just start with their first album, imaginatively titled ZZ Top's First Album. If you dig that, move on to the second, Rio Grande Mud, ditto the third, Tres Hombres. Digest those and then listen to Fandango. Pause and get to know it, because the overblown stage act and gimmick after gimmick hell ride is about to begin. Me? I jumped ship and never went back.

In looking for shit I did run into something cool. Most of you that have known ZZ Top since the early days are probably about as sick of hearing "La Grange" as I am. I think it's an excellent song but it is, at this point, way too familiar. I'm fucking over it. I would have been fine never hearing it again. Then I ran into this piece of whacked out brilliance. Someone remixed and/or re-edited it, stretching it to twenty minutes long. It is exhausting. After having listened to it I began to think. What if I were to put it on repeat and let it go for hours at a time? Yikes. I might have to do it.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
20 Minutes of La Grange
(streaming) at YouTube

No comments: