Saturday, September 14, 2019

WOMEN LEAVE, DOGS DIE, MEN DRINK. TWANG.

The documentary filmmaker Ken Burns is at it again, this time covering the history of country music. It's a eight part series airing on PBS starting Sunday, September 15, each episode two hours long. (It will also be available streaming from their site.) If you've ever seen any of his documentaries, you know he does them right. Burns first came to my attention with his exhaustive nine part documentary on baseball, likely because it aired during the baseball strike of 1994. The strike shortened the season. It was pitiful. Burns's documentary aired at the perfect time. Total serendipity. It reminded baseball people that the history of the game was a long one, and the strike was but a blip.

The baseball series gave me an appreciation for the game that I've retained all these years, twenty five to be exact. Ken Burns did that. Not Little League, not watching games on TV, or going to the ball bark. But, he hade me appreciate all of those things more. I'm a country and western music dabbler. I'm anxious to see what this series will do for me.

Dig around at the site for the series. There's schedules, previews and streaming mixes of featured artists. If you're a dabbler like me, consider it a crash course.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Bill Monroe - Orange Blossom Special mp3 at Rocky 52 1941
Roy Acuff - Blue Moon of Kentucky mp3
at Rocky 52 1946
Hank Williams - Move It On Over mp3
at Rocky 52 1947
Kitty Wells - Release Me mp3
at Rocky 52 1954
Johnny Cash - I Walk the Line mp3
at Rocky 52 1956
Maddox Brothers and Rose - I'll Go Steppin' Too mp3 a
t Rocky 52 1957
George Jones - White Lightning mp3
at Rocky 52 1959
Patsy Cline - Walking After Midnight mp3
at Rocky 52 1960
Buck Owens - I Don't Care (Just As Long As Love Me) mp3
at Rocky 52 1964
Willie Nelson - I Love You Because mp3
at Rocky 52 1966
Merle Haggard - Branded mp3
at Rocky 52 1967

Visit:
Country Music - A Film by Ken Burns at PBS
Rocky 52 - Country music, hillbilly, rockabilly and blugrass Bios, discographies and music.

No comments: