Monday, September 30, 2019

TEENAGERS ASSOCIATE THE DARNEDEST THINGS

I don't know what context or exactly when I first heard Max Roach's name. I know that it was after I knew that a roach was the butt of a joint, and that was when I was about fifteen. I know that it was after that, because I have always thought of a pot related roach (as opposed to a cockroach type) every time I've heard his name, ever. When I started listening to jazz decades later, I learned what Max Roach sounded like. Playing behind the greats, Coltrane, Miles Davis. Solid. Then I heard "Garvey's Ghost". My ears drooled. I just listened to it again last night and then came here to see if the old link still worked. It did not. So I took matters into my own hands, which isn't all that tough considering I'm the only person tending to matters here. Good news: I found another link to it. Dig it. If the link is dead by the time you get here, just go to YouTube and find it. It's that good.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Max Roach (Abbey Lincoln, vocals) - Garvey's Ghost mp3 at Billy Chic Eric Dolphy's all over this one too.
John Colltrane (Max Roach, drums) - Ko Ko mp3 at Drummer World
Miles Davis (Max Roach, drums) - Move mp3 at Drummer World
Visit:
Max Roach - Profile at Drummer World Excellent bio, videos, cool photos and music.

No comments: