Friday, September 20, 2019

NOT A PARTY 'TIL I GET THERE

A nutty album title and timeless cover art (as in unable to date design-wise), and I'm finally introduced to Thundercat, which will no doubt cause some of you to mutter "what took ya so long?" Here's the deal, I don't follow charts and I read very little about current music. There's so much good music that's been made in the past that I'll never catch up, and I really don't give a shit about being relevant to anything let alone current musical trends. Never forget, current musical trends gave us auto-tune, metal ballads, pop-punk, new wave and all sorts of total crap that followers follow. If the good shit is out there, it'll find it's way to me eventually.


In the case of Thundercat, the cover of his 2017 LP Drunk just sort of stared at me from the side bar of Discogs when I was looking for something else. The cover looked kind of seventies-ish and the name Thundercat seemed vaguely familiiar. There was a link to a video, and I bit. Good click there. "Them Changes", the music was good in a lightly funky soul way, like the album cover hard to peg in terms of when it was made. The video itself was trippy. Bang.


The more I listened to his stuff, the more he sounded like the Bill Withers meets Brian Wilson. Make that Bill Withers meets Brian Wilson and they both get stoned as shit. I don't really care what this music is classified as, it's interesting and nice to fill the air with. If it keeps my interest, why bother over analyzing it?

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Thundercat - Them Changes mp3 at Mix Tape Riot If the link doesn't work, go there to get it.
Thundercat - A Message for Austin / Praise the Lord / Enter the Void mp3
at Tumblr
Thundercat - Evangelion mp3
at Tumblr
Thundercat - Is It Love mp3
at Tumblr

No comments: