Saturday, September 28, 2019

THE NEXT GENERATION IS HERE

Right out of the gate I want to point out that I'm in no way trying to make fun of Greta Thunberg, the Swedish climate change activist. I've got nothing but respect for someone who uses what attention they get for the common good, and, hell, the good of the whole planet is about as common good as common good gets. The fact that she is only in her teens and able to mobilize kids all over the world is inspiring. Adults too are paying attention. I mean, c'mon, she has the attention of the United Nations. At this point, it should come as no surprise that the asshole who lives in the White House would feel threatened enough to post a sarcastic tweet. (She countered.)

I ran across that awesome image above by Gary Taxali and really wanted to post it here, as well as Thunberg's speech to the UN. I needed a musical tie-in. The first one I thought of was Edgar Winter's White Trash's "Save the Planet", a great gospel song from the first White Trash LP, with Jerry LaCroix singing lead and the background vocals of Tasha Thomas, Janice Bell, Carl Hull, Maeretha Stewart, Albertine Washington and Eileen Gilbert. I'm naming all of them because they make the song. Such a simple song, but just fucking awesome. (Check both versions. What the live version lacks in the chorus, it makes up for even more larynx shredding vocals towards the end.) Still, I was sitting on it until I ran into this video mash up. Thunberg's speech, tweaked to Swedish Death Metal. Done.


~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Edgar Winter's White Trash - Save the Planet (streaming) at YouTube
Edgar Winter's White Trash - Save the Planet (Live) (streaming) at YouTube
Video:
Greta Thunberg's full speech to world leaders at UN Climate Action Summit at YouTube

No comments: