Wednesday, February 13, 2019

THIS IS NOT ROBERT QUINE

I wasn't expecting to revisit an LP I bought years ago when I clicked on a random funky soul song. "Keep On Dancin'" is a five minute jam reminiscent of B.T. Express, by Hamilton Bohannon (seen above) who, according to the liner notes of the album, had been "Motown's bandleader for a number of years" (this in 1974). That's not the reason for the detour. Reading the short blurb at Art Decade, it says "Featuring Fernando Saunders on bass. Does he play any two-bar unit exactly the same, or is each one different, like snowflakes?" Shit, I knew that name, but from where? I had a look at Saunders's discography. There it was. He played on a bunch of mid-late Lou Reed studio albums, none of which I owned. But, wait, there it really was, Lou Reed - Live In Italy, an album I had heard, many times. I bought it on cassette in Italy when it came out. I was doing the backpack/hostel/Eurail pass thing. Florence, Firenze to locals, 1984. I remember because when I went to see Michelangelo's David the place was full of noisy tourists so I decided I'd rather listen to music. The cheapo Walkman knock off that I had was loaded with the Lou Reed album and I let the fifteen minute medley of "Some Kinda Love/Sister Ray" rip while I checked out the marble. Yee haw.

That album is notable because Reed and Saunders's band mate was guitarist Robert Quine, one of the most underrated guitarists of all time (in my book, the only one that matters to me}. Quine had been in Richard Hell and the Voidoids, and on the two albums that he did with them he thoroughly ripped, but not in a normal rock 'n' roll way. There was something else going on. His leads were disjointed and abrasive, but it wasn't showmanship or guitar hero shit. It was more cerebral, irreverently so.

I am, no doubt, going to be listening to the Voidoids tonight, but you ought to check the Lou Reed live thing. As far as I know, that tour, the album and the video that was released later, are the only live recordings of Quine. Reed's playing is good too, and, hey, they have  that guy who may or may not play any two-bar unit exactly the same holding down the low end. You've gone this far. Click on something.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Hamilton Bohannon - Keep On Dancin' mp3 at Art Decade
Lou Reed - Live In Italy (full LP) (streaming) at YouTube

No comments: